Monday, September 21, 2009

Crownsville Anne Arundel Maryland September 20 2009 12:02 P.M. till 12:08 P.M. (click here)

This recording was made at the Maryland Renaissance festival in Anne Arundel County. I used the NTG-2 shotgun mic with the roll-off off.

A man playing a wind-up or crank music box. This recording is superb. I turned on the PCM-D50 as I walked toward the music, then stood about 5 feet away from the musician. His voice and music were completely distinct from one another, and the noise level of the crowd was minimal ambience.

2 comments:

ADeBru said...

Very nice. That mic seems to be working wonders for your field-studies. FIELD-STUDIES...why do I like that phrase so much?

Site/Citation said...

And this is the shotgun mic. Seems that this mic's really good for close listening, i.e., getting between sounds, if such a thing is possible.

I got the X/Y last night, a beautiful stereo mic that freaked me out when I first listened to it. After a few minutes of listening to the evening rituals I forgot I had the headset on. Superb.

I'm a little behind on posting because (1) I was in Albany for several days and (2) I'm freaking out about quality - if it matters!

I like the textures, the traffic ambience and the specific clicks and cuts of the local sound field. But then, being a purist, I want all that noise to disappear, and I'm not quite sure I have the mics and/or the editing software to handle it.

But that's something I need to get over. Look for more this week. Soon.